Seoul Lantern Festival has been a fantastic event to brighten Cheonggyecheon Stream in Seoul for the past 14 years. Cheonggyecheon Stream was filled with lanterns of various shapes made with Hanji, traditional Korean paper. Each year Seoul Lantern Festival drew more than 2 million people to Cheonggyechoen Stream and Jongno area.
This year a couple of things will change. First of all, the festival opens in December instead of November, the usual month for the event. Second, the location for the lantern festival moves from Cheonggyecheon Stream to Gwanghwamun Square, which was remodeled and opened again this year.
I post the information for Seoul Lantern Festival 2022 in the following section, but the pictures are from the one that I visited in 2018. I bet this year it will be much bigger and brighter.
On This Post
- Information about Seoul Lantern Festival 2022
- Pictures from Previous Seoul Lantern Festival
- Activities at Seoul Lantern Festival
- More things to do in the Gwanghwamun Square area
Information about Seoul Lantern Festival 2022
Location & Map of Gwanghwamun Square
Address: 172 Sejong-daero, Sejongno, Jongno-gu, Seoul, South Korea
How to Get to Seoul Lantern Festival
- Seoul Metro (Subway)
- Line 3, get off at Gyeongbokgung Station, Exit 6
- Line 5, get off at Gwanghwamun Station, Exit 7
- Red Bus: 9709, 9701, 5000A, 5000B, 5005, 5500-2, 9000, 9000-1, 9200, 9401, or 9703
- Blue Bus: 103, 109, 150, 160, 260, 270, 271, 273, 370, 401, 402, 406, 470, 600, 601, 602, 606, 700, 702A, 702B, 704, 705, 707, 708, 720, 721, or 741
- Green Bus: 1020, 1711, 7016, 7018, 7019, 7022, or 7212
Period & Hours
- 2022, Dec. 19 (Mon) – Dec. 31 (Sun)
- 6 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Admission (Entrance Fee)
How To Say It In Korean
서울 빛초롱축제 /seoul bit-cho-rong-chuk-je/
- Phone: +82-2-3788-0845
- Instagram Feed
- Facebook Page
- Website (in English) / (in Korean)
- Email: email@example.com
Pictures from Previous Seoul Lantern Festival
All these pictures were taken at the 2018 event along Cheonggyecheon Stream.
Activities at Seoul Lantern Festival
There will be activities and pop-up stores at this year’s event. The festival opens Gwanghwamun Square Market. It will have a huge Christmas tree, photo zone, stores selling Christmas gifts and hand-crafted items, Seoul Tourism Contents experience zone, and, of course, food carts.
More Things To Do in the Gwanghwamun Square Area
This year’s Seoul Lantern Festival is held at Gwanghwamun Square, which is at the center of a lot of points of interest. The newly updated plaza itself is an interesting place for visitors with Hangeul Fountain, History Waterway, and more. Gwanghwamun Square is home to The Story of King Sejong (세종이야기) and The Story of Admiral Yi Sunshin (충무공이야기) Exhibition Hall. You may catch a good show at Sejong Cultural Center right next to the square. You can find its schedule here.
Right across the street, Gyeongbokgung Palace welcomes visitors. This historical palace from Joseon Dynasty is a must-visit place. Cheonggyecheon Stream and Jogyesa Temple are all within a stone’s throw. On the way to Cheonggyecheon Stream, you can take a good picture of Bosingak, a historical pavilion that is famous for the end-of-year bell-rining. Last but not least, Insadong offers various Korean experiences from traditional tea houses to shopping for Korean souvenirs.
- Planning a trip to South Korea? Click here to find more destinations here.
- Do you want to study in South Korea? Here is a basic guide to start with.
- Want to learn about Korean culture and more? Click here to find more information about it.
- Trying to learn Korean language? I have some interesting real expressions for you.
- A big fan of Korean food? How about some Korean noodles?