Summer is almost here and, in Busan, South Korea, this passionate season starts with Haeundae Sand Festival. This year, the theme of the Haeundae Sand Festival is world travel. The famous landmarks all over the world recreated with sand will amaze you.
On This Post
- Haeundae Sand Festival
- Flower Exhibitions at Gunam-ro and Haeundae Square
- Things To Do in Haeundae, Busan
264, Haeundaehaebyeon-ro, Haeundae-gu, Busan, South Korea
- Subway: Line 2 (Green Line), get off at Haeundae station (해운대/203), Exit 3 or Exit 5
- Bus: No. 139, 307, or 1003. Get off at Haeundae Beach (해운대 해수욕장) bus station.
- Main Festival: May, 20, 2022 – May, 23, 2022
- Sand Sculpture Exhibition and Flower Exhibition on Gunam-ro Street: May, 20, 2022 – June, 6, 2022
Haeundae Sand Festival
Haeundae Sand Festival is an annual event. It usually takes place between late May and early June. The history of the festival goes way back to 2005 and what makes the festival more valuable is that it is an environment-friendly event. It uses sand and each artwork straightly goes back to the beach once the festival is done.
The sand artists create the artworks based on a theme, and it changes each year. This year the theme is world travel and each sand sculpture is a recreation of world famous landmark. The list includes The Statue of Liberty, The Eiffel Tower, Pyramids, Ankor Wat, and many more. These are created by top Korean artists.
The main festival is held between May, 20 and May, 23. The festival celebrates the beginning of summer with many events such as amateur sand sculpture competitions, treasure hunts, fireworks, sandboards, children’s sand playgrounds, and more. The sand artworks exhibition lasts until June, 6 even after the main festival ends.
Flower Exhibitions at Gunam-ro and Haeundae Square
Along with the sand festival, flower exhibitions on Gunam-ro street welcome visitors as well. The exhibition is held to help flower farmers in Busan and it covers the whole street of Gunam-ro and Haeundae Square with 130,000 flowers of 16 different types.
Things To Do in Haeundae
Haeundae area is one of the most popular destinations in Busan and its fame is not in vain. There are many things you can do in this area and I have several posts about attractions about Haeundae.
After you finish your tour of Haeundae Sand Festival and Flower Exhibition (and lots of pictures), you probably would feel hungry. Here are a couple of posts for that.
- Planning a trip to South Korea? Click here to find more destinations here.
- Do you want to study in South Korea? Here is a basic guide to start with.
- Want to learn about Korean culture and more? Click here to find more information about it.
- Trying to learn Korean language? I have some interesting real expressions for you.
- A big fan of Korean food? How about some Korean noodles?